ORV at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes
Silver Lake State Park is one of the few areas in the country that users can still enjoy riding freely on sand dunes. Located about 20 minutes south of Ludington, MI these shifting dunes promise a different terrain every time you visit them.
Off-roading can be fun and exciting for the whole family. Make it a safe experience for yourself and other park visitors. Please follow the rules that have been made for everyone's safety and security. Sand dunes are subject to rapid topographic changes resulting from winds and erosion. Be alert for steep inclines, changing slopes, natural hazards and/or sudden drop-offs. Always operate your vehicle at a safe speed and in a safe manner.
There are a number of general rules that apply to all operators using the Silver Lake Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Area.
The DNR, in cooperation with the Silver aLake ORV Area, has announced that they are eliminating permit sales at the ORV area entrance. "Dune-ready" vouchers will no longer be needed if your vehicle can be driven straight from the road to the dunes. You must make sure you have your Recreation Passport, ORV permit and ORV trail permit. Customers may visit the Welcome Center or other locations to purchase the required permits. This will allow a more efficient check-in process at the entrance.
- The Off-Road Vehicle Area is open each year from April 1 through October 31.
- April 1 - May 15 and the day after Labor Day - October 31 it is open 9:00a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- May 16 - Labor Day it is open 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Access to the ORV Area and Dunes is stopped 1/2 hour ahead of closing time, every evening.
- Current vehicle permits are required on all vehicles using the area. The permit price is $26.25.
- All motor vehicles entering the Park must display a Michigan State Park Motor Vehicle Permit. In addition, off-road enthusiasts will also be required to purchase a base $10 trail and scramble permit in addition to the Recreation Passport.
- All motor vehicles entering the Dunes must display a Michigan ORV Registration.
- Entry Vouchers are required on summer weekends and holidays.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed throughout the year in and around the ORV Area.
- Operate vehicles only within the dune area marked with orange boundary markers.
- Obey Directional Traffic Zone signage. No north-bound traffic in high dune areas.
- Rectangular, safety orange flags reaching 10 foot in height required on all ORVs.
- Michigan Child Passenger Safety Law in effect in ORV Area.
- Emergency strobe, flashing, rotating and/or blinking lights and sirens prohibited.
- Helmets are required to operate ATVs and motorcycles in parking lot as well as in dunes.
- Special regulations for unlicensed and young (12 - 16 years of age) operators.
- Headlight(s), taillight(s) and brake light(s) required on vehicles ½ hour after sunset.
- ATVs and motorcycles: operator only, no passengers at any time.
- Please report accidents, injuries and/or emergencies to State Park personnel or 911.
Off-road riding and driving can be dangerous - DRIVE SAFELY
For all the specific rules and requirements for enjoying your Silver Lake ORV experience please visit the Michigan Department of Natural Resources Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area page.
More Silver Lake Sand Dunes Info...
For more activities & attractions, check out these additional links for Things to Do in West Michigan:
Have Fun in Manistee, Michigan -- Explore Manistee's historic downtown district and riverwalk, hike the Manistee National Forest, canoe on the Manistee River, and more.
Hamlin Lake -- Just 4 miles north of Ludington, Hamlin Lake is a great destination for boating, fishing and climbing dunes! The Hamlin Lake shoreline is also part of the Ludington State Park.
Silver Lake Sand Dunes -- Visiting the Silver Lake Sand Dunes makes for a terrific vacation because you can take your off-road vehicle for a spin on the scenic sand dunes overlooking Lake Michigan and Silver Lake.
Things to Do in Pentwater, Michigan -- Nothing is quite like the quaint, artsy, harbortown village of Pentwater. Don't miss the popular Charles Mears State Park beach on Pentwater's Lake Michigan shoreline.
Lots of Activities in Scottville, Michigan -- Explore the Riverside Park along the National Scenic Pere Marquette River.
Canoeing or Fishing on the Pere Marquette River -- Many boat liveries offer canoe rentals.
Also, check out West Michigan Guides and our locally produced WestMichigan.MichBiz.com directory for our largest lists of Things to Do in West Michigan.